Mike Vincent's Blog

Community, Software Architecture, Application Lifecycle Management

TechEd Recap

With TechEd being split into two weeks for Developers and IT Pros, it was a long experience for me. I covered both weeks for INETA. The first week we had the whole team on board and a lot of community stuff going on.  We kept the INETA kiosk area well staffed, especially during session breaks, to meet with the many folks who stopped by. INETA sponsored the Birds of a Feather sessions for the week, the BOF team did a great job keeping everything running smoothly. I enjoyed being a part of the BOF experience, see my Dynamic Languages at TechEd post. I had a chance to attend several sessions that included:

Pat Helland – Metropolis: Interchangeability of Operations

I wish I could have attended all of Pat’s sessions but this was it. Using his Metropolis analogy, his focus here is on the parallels of Manufacturing Goods to Structured Data and Operations. Standardization drove changes is manufactured goods leading to mass production and interchangeable components. The parallel is driving changes in data operations. Following the session I had the opportunity for some engaging discussion on extending the concept. I suggested looking at the quality push brought about by the Japanese auto manufacturers in the 70’s and 80’s and paralleling with the shift toward test driven development.

Mark Russinovich – The Case of the Unexplained

I attended the repeat presentation and it was packed. Great presentation style, Mark walked among the audience before start of session chatting and getting a sense of points of interest. The presentation covered tools, techniques and insight by peering beneath the surface for solving of sluggish performance, error messages, applications crashes, system hangs and blue screens.

Doug Seven - End-to-End Application Lifecycle Management with Microsoft Visual Studio Team System

Another great job of presentation delivery. Had a chance to chat with Doug afterward of both Rosario and effective presentations. Doug recommends Presentation Zen and Made to  Stick.

John Lam – see separate post

Scott Hanselman – Car or Motorcycle: Choosing the ASP.NET MVC Framework

Scott’s presentations are always good, I like his way of making things understandable. In this presentation he provided a good description of the MVC framework. The MVC is about alternatives, its not for everyone or every project, rather it allow you to choose the best tool for the job. MVC provides some real benefits in terms of TDD and it plays well with others.

Ted Neward – Pragmatic Architecture: The Role of an Architect

Always good, Ted was busy doing 5 presentations. I caught just one that starts with the “… what is a software architect?” It’s Ted’s pragmatism and delivery style that made this presentation interesting and engaging.

I’m a big fan of getting the user experience right. The UX presentations by David Platt and Mark Miller provided some contrasting views on this important topic. Both made us think about the cost of lost productivity. There is a lot more to UX than these presentations could cover but I’m glad to see greater mind share around improving UX. Architects need to get their heads into this space in greater depth.

Mark Miller – The Science of a Great User Experience

Mark had a lot of good material in his presentation, backed up with good examples. He had a lot of material but kept the pace lively to get through it. In a couple of spots in his presentation his passion crossed over the line on appropriateness to the venue however.

David Platt – Why Software Sucks

Pragmatic, a little more conservative than Mark, but he made the connection with the audience.

Comments

RemLog › Meeting Mike Vincent said:

Pingback from  RemLog › Meeting Mike Vincent

# September 16, 2008 12:14 PM

RemLog said:

(This a cross-post from remlog.net: http://blog.remlog.net/?p=33 ) Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting

# September 16, 2008 12:15 PM

Kaitlin22Noel said:

I had a dream to make my own business, nevertheless I didn't have enough of money to do that. Thank God my friend told to utilize the <a href="http://bestfinance-blog.com">loan</a>. Therefore I took the short term loan and realized my old dream.

# September 23, 2010 2:24 PM

JeanetteHawkins23 said:

When you’re frustrated and don’t really know the way to write the admission services essay, you will have a chance to buy papers online from the innovative writing service. This could really save valuable time.

# September 28, 2010 2:32 PM

VivianRich said:

Thanks for the tips.I enjoyed reading it. Any person in the our world wants to become original, but does not get know the way to do that. But a lot of guys look for custom writing.

# October 21, 2010 2:23 AM

Holland28Mariana said:

It very affecting  how detailed data on enlightenment assignment has been well elaborated here within this site. Please keep it up. we enjoy it. I know that you are a well-recognized and honored source  on the Internet and I will use this for my custom research paper needs. Thanks.

# October 22, 2010 3:43 AM

Gross29Susanna said:

Thank you, it's very amazing article it might be very helpful for students. For example last year when I had a difficult of time at the end of semester with a continuous flow of academic assignments and homework, I had a wonderfull idea to buy it somewhere and than use online plagiarism. I was so exhausted that I did not care for what can appear when my academic work was written by another person. To my awesome surprise, research paper was divine the price I paid for it. I was so appreciative with the quality and now everytime i use this service.

# November 30, 2010 8:41 AM

MariBenjamin35 said:

Usually, university students do not like the critical essay completing, nevertheless they still need to show their writing ability! So, the buy term paper service would be a good assistant for essays writing.

# December 7, 2010 3:15 PM

WinifredDodson27 said:

You ought to complete good quality course works to be a successful student. Nevertheless, you should buy coursework online when have no writing skills.

# December 16, 2010 8:31 AM

RamosKaryn22 said:

People would like to buy an essay and the research papers about this good post. Good article! Thank you for that!

# December 28, 2010 12:30 PM

LAMBCathy said:

After leaf through this item story I grind a lot on how to comp articles. As a graduate, I have neverachieved one regular assignment and always use dissertation writing service. What a shame! But now I have brashness in writing. Thank you.

# December 28, 2010 12:33 PM

HamptonPatricia19 said:

I ordered custom papersI think they dogood job. I made only a few edits of my own and added a numerous detailsbut the writer was truly perfect and did what I ordered him to. I would recommend this custom papers to anybody.

# March 22, 2011 9:57 AM